Thursday, November 8, 2012

My First "Real" Election

Growing up, I really didn't pay attention to politics too much.  I know I should have, but my real political awareness came as I got ready to head off to college.  I wasn't old enough to vote in the last presidential election, which is why this election was so special to me.  For the first time, I found myself firmly set in my beliefs and I knew what I wanted.  I actively kept on eye on the campaign results and couldn't wait to see who won.  I didn't expect to see the results before I went to bed, and for the first time in my life, I was actually excited about finding out.  I knew my beliefs, what the candidates stood for and what I wanted to see happen.

I'm not going to say who I voted for, or even what political party I'm registered under.  I am going to say that for the first time I felt like I was actively involved in the election process and how my country is run.  It's definitely an exciting experience.  Whether your candidate won or lost, it's an amazing privilege to vote, and everyone should take advantage of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment