Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory

Alright, I'll admit it, I'm a huge Philippa Gregory fan. I know her books aren't exactly historically accurate, but they're interesting and usually take a very interesting take on historical events. Well, the latest Philippa Gregory book I just finished is The Red Queen, the second book in the Cousin's War series, about the War of the Roses, the civil war that put the Tudor family on the English throne.  What I really liked about this book was how it clearly outlined how the Lancasters had a direct line to the English throne while the Yorks didn't have such a solid claim to the throne.  I have read the first book in the series, The White Queen, although I would highly recommend reading these books back to back.  They definitely can be read independently, although it would be a little more interesting to read them one right after the other.  What's nice about the Red Queen was that it jumps right into the plot.  Sometimes, Philippa Gregory takes a while to get into the thick of things with her plot, but that definitely wasn't the case here.  If you know someone who is into Tudor history or are into Tudor history yourself, this is definitely a good book to read since it talks almost exclusively about how the Tudors came to the throne in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment