Sunday, March 2, 2014

Celebrating My Birthday with King Arthur

Last night, to celebrate my birthday, a friend and I went out to see Monty Python’s Spamalot at a local dinner theater.  This our second time going to this theater in the past few months (we now have season tickets, so we’ll be going more often), and we were not disappointed.  Last time, we saw Les Miserables, so it was fun to see something a bit more cheerful this time around.

Spamalot is a musical based on Monty Python’s movie of the same name.  basically, it’s a parody of the legend of King Arthur, complete with singing, outrageous characters and numerous sexual references.  When on Broadway, Spamalot won a Tony Award in 2005 for Best Musical, and it had a very successful run.  I saw the show about a year ago while in college, but I wasn’t about to pass up on seeing it again.  As much as I didn’t like the movie, I have to admit that the musical is one of my favorites.

It’s funny, just yesterday I was thinking how whenever I’ve gone to Toby’s (the name of the dinner theater), I’ve never had a lead actor as a waiter.  Ironically, when we went to Toby’s last night, our waiter was none other than King Arthur himself.  Not only did our fabulous waiter play King Arthur, but when we saw Les Miserables in November, he played Javert.  We, of course told our waiter this.  I told him that I never really liked Javert until I saw his portrayal, it was that amazing.  Marius from Les Mis was also in the show again, and Fantine.  It was weird, seeing an actor we just saw blow it out of the water in what can probably be called the most serious Broadway musical in the past twenty years switch gears completely and play one of the goofiest roles ever.  It was highly entertaining and just showed the diversity actors need to possess in order to be successful in their field.

Overall, I thought the show was amazing.  It was hilarious, which is expected, the acting was superb, the costumes were amazing, the choreography wonderful.  Toby’s never disappoints when it comes to a show; they never disappoint when it comes to its performances.


Below you can find a clip of one of the songs from Spamalot.  While it’s not from Toby’s, it’s still a great performance nonetheless.


No comments:

Post a Comment