Saturday, March 8, 2014

Upping the Ante

So, about a week or so ago, my friend Melissa and I were complaining about the infamous "List" (she's the criminal mastermind behind this whole challenge).  We pointed out that there are some books missing from "The List" that should be on it.  This was a conversation we'd had before, so it wasn't anything new.  I honestly have no idea who came up with this idea, we'll call it a draw, but one of us decided it would be absolutely brilliant to add more books to the list.  At first, we thought that 50 books each (making the total to read a paltry 200 books).  That idea was thankfully scrapped, and we agreed that we'd each add 25 books, bringing the final sum to 150 books total.

Let me tell you, coming up with 25 books to read was a nightmare.  I had to think about what books weren't on the list that I wanted, and what books I've been meaning to read for a while but haven't.  I've had to modify the list since then, because one of the books I added literally can't be found.  Okay, that's a lie, it's on Amazon, but who wants to pay over $20 for a paperback, young adult book?  Yeah, thought so.  That's been my latest challenge, trying to figure out what book to replace it with.  It's not easy.  I keep telling myself that just because I don't put a book on "the List" doesn't mean I won't read it.  Knowing my friendship with Melissa, the loser (whoever it will be, but we all know that I'm going to win) will undoubtedly challenge the winner to some sort of rematch.  We've entered a vicious cycle here.  Melissa and I have been friends for 10 10 1/2 years and are both very bookish and very competitive.  It's definitely going to be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment